Wednesday 29 September 2021

Going for Green Gold!

 So if you've read some of my other blogs you would know that as a school we are going for Green Gold. If you haven't, well I can tell you about it. For about 7 years my school has been working to be awarded the great honour of being a Green Gold School! First of all there's bronze, then silver and last but definitely not the least, GREEN GOLD. The way to accomplish that goal is to follow the guiding principles to be Kaitiaki.

The guiding principles are, Learning for sustainability, Respect for the diversity of people and cultures, Empowered students, Sustainable communities and Maori perspectives. If you know what these mean and how to use them in everyday life, well then you mostly have that award under your belt. So what I'm going to do is try to explain what all of them mean and how we incorporate them at my school.

Learning for sustainability means learning how to make a stable and lush communities for the native flora and fauna to live in. At my school we have a lady called Kauri that comes in to show us how to improve our  gardens and life. Respect for diversity of people and cultures means understanding and being ok with things that can be different or new. In my class we like to be ourselves and show how we would think or do things.  Empowered students means taking matters into our own hands, while getting supported with what you choose to do and how you do that. An example of this for ME would be that I've made my own kawakawa balm out of our school leaves and students brought in old containers to put it in. Sustainable communities means that the community is healthy with bird-life and flora. How we do this at our school is  we go down to Hamanatua stream, and our whanau comes to help out. Maori perspectives means watching and learning how Maori used to do things and how they used to live off the land.

If you ask me, I think I did a pretty good job. Thank goodness for that, because yesterday we were awarded the GREEN GOLD AWARD.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your positive, thoughtful, helpful comments.
Positive - something done well
Thoughtful - a sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what they had to say
Helpful - give some ideas for next time or ask a question you want to know more about